Features and download
Download 1 Blog Theme 1.3 (zip, 145 KB)
WordPress, the weblog management system, allows to customize its appearance through packages of files called themes. 1 Blog Theme is a WordPress theme with a clean, simple, classic design. Its layout includes a horizontal menu, a 3-part sidebar (single column followed by two columns) and a 3-column footer.
- 1 Blog Theme is WordPress 1.5+ compatible (tested in 1.5, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7 and 2.8) and WordPress MU compatible.
- It uses no tables, just pure CSS.
- It is standards-compliant as its code uses valid XHTML (4.01 Transitional) and valid CSS.
Creative Commons Attribution - Non Commercial - Share Alike 2.5: You must keep the attribution links (1 Blog Theme and 1Blogr) whether you modify this theme or not.
- Easy customization
- Layout and design
- Post content
- Related posts
- Social buttons
- Email subscription form
- Post submission form
- Automatic and integrated contact form
- Anti spam filter
- Feed options
- Search Engine Optimization features
- Comments pagination
- Numbered pagination
- Separated comments and trackbacks
- Comment notification
- One-click comment moderation
- Easy translation
- Ad system
- Additional features
It's recommended that you use 1 Blog Cacher with this or any theme. 1 Blog Cacher is a WordPress plugin that caches your pages in order to increase the response speed and minimize the server load.
Change the appearance and features of the theme without editing a single line of code thanks to the WordPress Theme Toolkit. Go to Presentation > Configure 1 Blog Theme within the admin area and choose from the various customization options.
Layout and design
- Choose a color (hue and intensity) through a graphical picker for links and header/footer.
- Choose a header/footer tone: Light or dark.
- Choose a background: White or light gray.
- Choose a body alignment: Center or left.
- Choose a body width (fixed or percentage).
- Choose a sidebar alignment: Left or right.
- Choose a sidebar width (fixed or percentage).
- Choose a sidebar left column width (fixed or percentage).
- Choose a pages menu type: horizontal on the header or regular on the sidebar.
- Choose a header image: Include an image in the header (instead of the text title) by specifying the url, width and height.
Choose whether to display full text, or first X words (or excerpt if available) or first X paragraphs on the homepage and/or archive pages (categories, dates, tags...).
1 Blog Theme is compatible with WordPress Widgets (plugin or built-in feature since WordPress 2.2). Move/include widgets between the 3 parts of the sidebar and the 3 columns of the footer. Widgets included with the theme:
- Control panel (if you are registered and logged-in)
- Favorite sites
- Latest comments
- Latest posts
- Log-in (if users can register)
- Most commented posts
- Subscribe (RSS)
- Theme switcher (if Theme Switcher is installed)
1 Blog Theme is compatible with Simple Tagging Plugin, Ultimate Tag Warrior and WordPress 2.3+ tagging system. If any of those plugins is installed and active or you have WordPress 2.3+, the theme displays the appropriate tags for every post returned and a list with the most used tags. It also displays tag feed links (something the plugin lacks).
If Simple Tagging is active, 1 Blog Theme will add an interesting functionality. You can tag posts using this special marking: [tag ]tag1[/tag] (this won't remove the text «tag1» from the text like [tags ][/tags] does). You can also add a tag and include automatically a link to that tag page with other marking: [taglink ]tag2[/taglink] (this will tag the post as «tag2» and will link that text to the tag url).
In WordPress 2.3 the theme also supports this kind of tagging, making [tag ][/tag], [tags ][/tags] and [taglink ][/taglink] have the behaviour described above.
The theme displays related posts in single post view, based on tags (with WordPress 2.3+ or Simple Tagging Plugin/Ultimate Tag Warrior active) or categories.
1 Blog Theme displays subscription and social bookmarking buttons in a one-click expandable list, similar to the way the Share This plugin does, with a few improvements:
- Completely integrated with the theme design.
- Choose amongst these subscription options: Bloglines, Feedster, Google Reader, Live, MyAOL, MyYahoo, Netvibes, Newsgator, Rojo.
- Choose amongst these social bookmarking options: Barrapunto, BlinkList, BlogMemes, CoRank, CoRank Español, Delicious, Digg, Enchílame, Fark, Fresqui Actualidad, Fresqui Ocio, Fresqui Tecnología, Furl, Google Bookmarks, Live Favorites, Magnolia, Menéame, Neodiario, Netscape, Newsvine, Reddit, Rojo, Slashdot, Spurl, Stumbleupon, Technorati Favorites, Yahoo MyWeb.
Email subscription form
Post submission form
Automatic and integrated contact form
Simply create a page (Write > Write Page) titled «Contact» or whatever translation/phrasing you are using in the theme-translation.php file. 1 Blog Theme will display automatically a contact form at the end of that post that will send an email to the page author. The form is spam-protected by Akismet (if the plugin is active with a valid key).
Anti spam filter
Comments and contact forms include an invisible filter that will reject most of the automated spam with no interaction required from you or your visitors. This filter uses an expirable timestamp and a hash and doens't involve any http connection or database query, so this kind of spam won't affect your server load.
- Choose whether to enable or disable feeds by content: Posts, comments, comments for each post, categories, tags or bloggers. If you disable them, not only feed links won't appear along the blog, but also they will return a 404 error so you'll make sure that they are completely inaccessible.
- Choose whether to enable or disable feeds by type: RSS 2.0, RSS, Atom or RDF.
- Choose alternate feed urls for posts and comments. If you enter a FeedBurner url, the feeds will be automatically redirected to FeedBurner when accessed through the usual feed urls (except for the FeedBurner user-agent, of course).
- Options to add related posts, categories, tags, social bookmarkers and/or attribution links to the feed content.
For instance, if you disable all feeds except for posts and comments, and you specify a FeedBurner url for both, you will ensure that all your subscribers are accessing only your FeedBurner feeds.
Search Engine Optimization features
- Improved title and meta tags using all the information available: post title before blog name, post excerpt as description, tags or categories as keywords...
- Choose whether to add a «noindex, nofollow» robots meta tag on archive pages (categories, searches, tags...) in order to avoid duplications that may harm your search engine positioning.
This is vital if you receive lots (thousands) of comments:
- Enable comments pagination by specifying your desired number of comments per page.
- Choose comments order: newer first or older first.
- If order is set to «newer first», choose whether to fill the post page (first comments page) with the maximum number of comments (this will make comment permalinks vary over time).
Based on Paged Comments.
No more useless Next/Previous navigation.
Separated comments and trackbacks
Comments and trackbacks are separated and treated distinctly not only in single post view but all along the blog.
Let your visitors receive the comments to a given post via email. You can turn off this feature from the configuration page.
One-click comment moderation
This feature will save you most time. Always you are logged-in as administrator, comment moderation links (edit, approve/unapprove, delete, spam) will display for each comment, allowing one-click management. Unapproved (pending) comments, as long as commenter email and IP, will also show up for you to help on this matter.
Easily translate (or change the phrasing of) the theme into any language by editing the theme-translation.php file. No need for mo/po files, the theme will be completely translated even for texts most themes won't take care of (i.e. title attributes).
Include ads (or any other type of content) in the theme by copying any given code into any of the files within the ads/ directory, depending on where you want them to show up (file names are self-explanatory on this matter, i.e. after-header-title.php, before-sidebar-left.php...). Just take into account that most ad blocks will appear just once, except for the following. After-post*.php and before-post*.php files will repeat for every post returned (just one in single post or page view, usually more in index, archives, categories...). After-post-paragraph.php and before-post-paragraph.php will repeat before/after every paragraph (<p>, <ul>, <ol> and <blockquote> tags) for each post returned. After-comment*.php and before-comment*.php will repeat for every comment returned (just in single post or page view).
You can add elements to the horizontal menu with the after-menu.php and before-menu.php files. Just remember to include them as list items (<li></li>).
You can use PHP and WordPress built-in functions and variables so you can target your ads to any specific type of placement. Check the ads/ad-targeting.txt file for some samples, including how to place an ad on the first two posts, on the last one, after the first paragraph of each post...
- Editable about.php file to display any information about you on the home page.
- Comments from the author of the post are automatically highlighted.
- Specify your desired max width for thumbnails when uploading images.
- Size attributes (width and height) automatically added for images when those are not set (improved page load).
- Margins added for images aligned left or right (through CSS on normal pages and through tables on feeds).
- Improved slugs with no rare characters.
- Fixed WordPress rare behaviour with quotes.
- <code> tag formatting.
- Printer-friendly pages.
- Integrated gravatars.
- Optimized for Google AdSense (section targeting).